From Our Affilliates


toconceive, key to conceive

Friday, March 15, 2013

Breastfeed In Baby's First Hour of Life

Pregnancy Over 40:  Breastfeed Immediately After Birth

I recall after my daughter was born, I was told to start breastfeeding her while I was still in the labor and delivery area.
My site: www.getpregnantover40.com
She sucked so vigorously, I yelped in pain. I wished I had been given more instruction or perhaps taken a class on proper latching and or other techniques that would reduce the pain. With the proper training, I might have been more successful breastfeeding instead of having to use a pump when I got home. I think the benefits of breastfeeding have been well publicized, however the following article discusses the importance of breastfeeding in the baby's first hour of life. Read more:

Why Breastfeeding In The First Hour Of Life Is Important

From the article:

A 2006 study published in the journal Pediatrics suggested that 41 per cent of newborns that die in the first month of life could be saved if breastfed in the first hour of life.

The WHO also says feeding colostrum in the first hour increases the likelihood babies will continue to be breastfed which gives them a head start in the "race against malnutrition". There are 170 million underweight children in the world and 3 million of them die every year.

Colostrum is a sticky yellow-white substance yielded by the mother's breast soon after birth. It is rich in antibodies and essential nutrients. Yet, in many cultures, ignorant of its health benefits, the custom is to throw it away. Giving newborns water or other liquids denies them a "good start in life" says the WHO, referring to the WHO Child Growth Standards and how babies fed colostrum within the first hour of being born measure up well against the standards.

Breastfeeding in the first hour or so after birth also confers benefits to the mother, such as improved lactation and less loss of blood.

You May Also Be Interested In These Products: